Saturday, March 5, 2011

Just Finished my first Crazy Quilt!


This is a quilt for one of my nephews.  I used the book Crazy Shortcut Quilts Crazy Shortcut Quilts by Marguerita McManus and Sarah Raffuse for the basic method, and it worked out great!

I started out with Moda's Layer Cake (40 10x10 pre-cut pieces) from Bunnyhill Design's Lily and Will Collection.
 lilywillbluegrid.jpg(Picture courtsey of Fabric Patch)

I picked out my pattern for how I wanted to cut my layer cake and then I cut all of the pieces exactly the same.  Then I mixed and matched all of the different ways that I cut it and came up with some super-cute blocks.  

I pieced them all and then layered them and used the Crazy Shortcut Quilt method of quilt-as-you-go to actually quilt my own project. (Usually I outsource the quilting parts).  It actually was really easy and I think it turned out really well.  It was also a great opportunity to use all of those nifty stitches that I never try out.  


I am going to start another one for my second nephew using Moda's Lily and Will Green and Brown layer cake. I think I might try a Kaleidoscope method. 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely quilt. I like the color combo you used. I'm wondering if you use batting for your quilts as it is so tropical there in PR.

    ReplyDelete