Saturday, February 19, 2011

Soulless was a Steam-punk Treat.

Soulless was recommended to me by a good friend whose taste in books I have always enjoyed.  I started this on while we were cruising through the Caribbean on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas. I loved this book. I found it funny, romantic and the enjoyed the vampire/werewolf meets Victorian England twist. It actually made me laugh aloud a few times. 


"Without a morsel of exaggeration, its publisher describes this debut novel as "a comedy of manners set in Victorian London full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking." At the center of Soulless's "parasol protectorate" is Miss Alexia Tarabotti, a young woman who lacks not only a suitor but also a soul. And those are not her only problems: When she accidentally kills a vampire, it begins a series of events that she must set out to resolve without the help of any proper authorities. A charming mass market original (Goodreads.com)."


All-in-all, I found the book to be delightful. It was a nice change from the other books I had been reading and it was a very quick read. There were a few too many pseudo-sex scenes for me to let my daughters read it, but they were easy to skip over. I loved the author's obsession with tea-time.  Thank goodness I was on a cruise ship while reading this. I drank a lot of mint tea and ate scones with cream and jam every afternoon while finishing this book.  I highly recommend baking prior to sitting down with this one.  I am about to start the second book featuring Miss Alexia Tarabotti, Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate)

No comments:

Post a Comment